Tuesday, June 19, 2012

God Won't Give Me More Than I Can Handle, Or Will He?


These last 6 weeks or so have nearly gotten me to the point of donning a “comfy” white jacket with overlong sleeves crossed at the chest and wrapped behind the back. I am also thinking of making a small white cushioned room my humble new abode.

You know the old adage “God won't give you more than you can handle”. We have ALL heard it from well meaning family or friends and may have even used that phrase to make someone in a tough situation feel better. I am also sure you can think of situations in your life where you questioned this very statement and possibly even questioned God because of the statement that we have just taken as fact due to hearing it so much. 

I have come to cringe when I hear that statement and thought I was a “bad christian/parent/person” for feeling that way. Well guess what?! It is not in the bible anywhere...period! Believe me, I looked and looked and looked. God NEVER said he wouldn't give us more than we could handle. I am no theologian by any means but He did say that He wouldn't temp us beyond our ability to withstand temptation and make good choices.

1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man, God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it."

Maybe that is why I haven't actually turned myself over to the local mental health authorities demanding they give me my padded room and straight-jacket. I am withstanding that strong temptation. 

It doesn't mean however, there won't be things in life that overwhelm you, encumber you and completely wear you out pushing you well past your comfort zone and eventually past your breaking point.  He does promise however, to be there when we are weary, burdened and completely spent.  I honestly think He DOES give us more than we can handle sometimes so we do run to him for rest and solace.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28)  

No comments:

Post a Comment