Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Self-Discipline

Kayleigh has been throwing her food on the floor, when she is finished, for as long as I can remember.  She is two now and is old enough to know better.  We have been working with “all done” and setting her things to the side when she is finished.  When that fails, I have been making her clean up the mess when time permits.  These seemed to have almost put a stop to the food/dish/cup/utensil throwing (for a day or two at a time at least).  She has started again, with a new twist.  Now when she has eaten all that she wants, she will throw everything on the floor and promptly yell a variation of “KAYLEIGH”, “Kayleigh, uh oh”, or my favorite “Kayleigh, NO!”  She will then keep repeating it until I address the situation.  The first time she did it I couldn’t help but laugh.  You know you have been there, when you know the last thing you should be doing is laughing at a disciplinary situation but you can’t help it.  Well yeah, now she does it and smiles looking for her daddy or me to start laughing.  She reminds me a lot of my sister in that regard.  All she had to do was get my mom to laugh when she was in trouble and she was off the hook.  Kayleigh is taking after Aunt Shawna. ;)    
On the positive side, it seems she is finally gaining a sense of self which is one of her areas of delay.  She is loving school.  Her vocabulary is picking up like crazy.  She is addressing her brother by name, which is something new.  It’s so cute to hear her say “Ashton”.  Don’t ask her to say frog though….it totally sounds like another four letter word that begins with the letter “F”.  YIKES!

No comments:

Post a Comment